What can I do if I have a complaint?   

Published on : March 04, 2014
It is possible that you are not happy with the way your RTI request was handled: the Public Information Officer did not respond, or is taking too long to respond, or did not provide the information you wanted and did not tell you why you are not happy with the reason, or overcharged you, and so on. You could lodge complaint about these and other such matters. If you have any such complaint, then you can complain to the KP Information Commission, an independent body set up to handle complaints related to RTI requests.